Welcome! We regret to inform you that the Injury Board National News Desk has been discontinued. Feel free to browse around and enjoy our previously published articles, or visit The Injury Blog Network for the latest in personal injury news.

Two Las Vegas Clinics Lose License in Hepatitis C Debacle

Posted by Jane Akre
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:05 AM EST
Category: Major Medical
Tags: Hepatitis, Colon Cancer, Medical Malpractice and Negligent Care, Wrongful Death

Two clinics have surrendered their licenses in the Las Vegas public health crisis that has at least seven contracting hepatitis C from unsafe clinic practices.

LEARN MORE

 

IMAGE SOURCE: Creativecommons.org/ flexible endoscope/ author de:benutzer:Kalumet

Two Las Vegas clinics that gave at least seven people hepatitis C had their licenses revoked by the city Monday after they forked over a $500,000 fine.

That saved the executives in charge a face-to-face meeting with the approximately 80 angry citizens in attendance who hoped someone would be held accountable for the public health debacle.

Approximately 40,000 former patients of The Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada are undergoing testing for blood-borne diseases such as hepatitis and HIV after it was revealed that workers there reused syringes in a cost-cutting move.

The Gastroenterology Center of Nevada, owned by the same group,  also will not reopen.

Those who have been tested positive for hepatitis C tell the Las Vegas Review-Journal that the punishment is not enough.   

Barbara Botts whose husband died from hepatitis C says those responsible should be held accountable. “I don’t understand why they’re not being indicted” she tells the paper.

The center’s operator, Dr. Dipak Desai is under criminal investigation.  He has voluntarily stopped practicing medicine in Nevada.  

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman says the city was prepared to have an extensive hearing on the clinics, but lawyers for Dr. Desai offered to surrender the licenses and avoid a hearing. They then paid the fine during the city council hearing with two checks for $250,000 each handed over to the city.

That money will go to help patients relocate their medical records seized by police. Patients like Michelle Baltz who has Crohn’s disease and needs to see another gastroenterologist but was told police can only access records by date. 

"I don't know when my procedure was done," she said. "I'm walking around with Crohn's disease and I can't even see a doctor" she tells the paper.

Kevin Rexford was in attendance at Monday’s hearing. He left feeling “less than satisfied” with the proceedings. 

Rexford, 46, has incurable colon cancer, he says was missed by the Endoscopy Center. He filed and has settled a lawsuit.

“I don’t think they were held to task” Rexford tells the Las Vegas Sun

Many expected nurses to have to testify at to why they reused syringes and single-patient vials of medication that exposed patients to the incurable virus.   Instead the legal team turned over the money.

So far seven patients have been identified with hepatitis C. Several class action lawsuits have been filed.  #


2 Comments

Anonymous User
Posted by hrmchan
Friday, April 18, 2008 9:50 PM EST

For Dr. Desai ---- surrendering his license and a small fine is immaterial. If the procedures he authorized truly are outside the standards of practice, and instituted for reasons of cost savings .... then he must be criminally held responsible because as a physician he knew the potential harm which was being created to unknowing patients.

Give him his day in court ... but keep the cuffs near by.

hrmchan

Anonymous User
Posted by sd
Friday, April 25, 2008 10:02 PM EST

That figures the doctors and nurses wouldn't face the public. Come out you low life cowards. Where's the agression you showed us when you "stuck it" to us you snakes - you're so low you slither on your bellies. May your children and grandchildren suffer the consequences of you spreading these deadly diseases into the world. Nobody can live in a vacuum. You "screwed" your own families along with the rest of us.

Comments for this article are closed.

About the National News Desk

Our mission is to seek the complete truth and provide a full and fair account of the events and issues that surround personal safety, accident prevention, and injury recovery.  We are committed to serving the public with honesty and integrity in these efforts.

Hurt in an accident? Contact an Injury Board member

Subscribe to Blog Updates

Enter your email address if you would like to receive email notifications when comments are made on this post.

Email address

Subscribe

RSS Feed

Add the National News Desk to your favorite RSS reader

Add to Google Reader Add to myYahoo Add to myMSN Add to Bloglines Add to Newsgator Add to Netvibes Add to Pageflakes