A Missouri nursing home recently paid $275,000 to the family of a woman who died after choking on food that caretakers had been directed not to serve her. In September 2001, Barbara Welch, 48, choked to death on solid food when her diet was restricted to liquids. The wrongful death lawsuit, filed by the woman's mother, alleged employees of the Warrenton Manor nursing home
failed to follow the directions of Welch's physician. As part of the settlement, Warrenton Manor agreed to institute new policies designed to ensure the safety of patients on special diets.