Welcome! We regret to inform you that the Injury Board National News Desk has been discontinued. Feel free to browse around and enjoy our previously published articles, or visit The Injury Blog Network for the latest in personal injury news.

Las Vegas Health Clinic Shut Down

Posted by Jane Akre
Monday, March 03, 2008 10:38 AM EST
Category: On The Road, Major Medical, Protecting Your Family, In The Workplace
Tags: Hepatitis, Infection Control, Public Health, Medical Malpractice, Medical Negligence, CDC, FDA and Prescription Drugs, Medical Malpractice and Negligent Care

The Las Vegas clinic that is the source of a hepatitis contamination has been closed and its license taken away. Criminal charges are being contemplated and civil suits have already begun.

LEARN MORE

With  thousands of former patients of the Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada anxious about whether they contracted an infectious disease, Las Vegas city officials have shut down the center and revoked its license.

So far six cases off hepatitis C have been positively linked to the center. And health officials have asked that 40,000 patients who visited the clinic between March 2004 and January 11 of this year be tested for the blood-borne infectious hepatitis C as well as HIV.

The Mayor, Oscar Goodman says the license will be suspended for the clinic until further notice.

Injuryboard reported Friday that the first lawsuit has been filed. Charles Anthony Rader, 53, will be undergoing testing for the next several months as will his wife.

The negligence suit is likely to be the first in a class action against the clinic and its owner filed by the Las Vegas law firm of White, Meany and Wetherall LLP. 

Criminal charges may also be filed by the local prosecutors office.                 

While the clinic’s owner Dr. Dipak Desai has kept a low profile, letters to the editor of the Las Vegas Review Journal strongly criticize his political contributions and 8,500 square foot home.

At one time Dr. Desai sat on the Nevada Board of Medical Examiners reports attorney Steve Klearman of Reno, an IB member.

And attorney Peter Wetherall of White, Meany, Wetherall Las Vegas was the first to report on his blog Friday night that the clinic had been closed.  

The clinic issued a statement. “We wish to emphasize that the actual risk of anyone being affected by this is extremely low, but as a precaution, anyone who has undergone procedures at the Endoscopy Center who required anesthesia should be tested,” the statement said.

Health inspectors were led to the center after six cases of hepatitis C, a public health concern and reportable disease, were forwarded to the county health office.  Investigators traced five cases back to the Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada where workers there contaminated a multi-dise vial of anesthesia with hepatitis by using a contaminated syringe.  The syringe had initially been used on a patient with hepatitis and even though the needle had been changed in-between medication withdrawals, the syringe had not, contaminating the vial's contents with hepatitis.

The CDC urges patients to insist on single-dose vials or that your health provider change both needle and syringe between mediation doses from a multi-dose vial. #

 


5 Comments

Anonymous User
Posted by annie
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 12:19 PM EST

The fact that Dr Desai was 'treasurer'in the Neada Board warrents investigation into how ethical he was over there.I wouldn't be surpised if millions are missing!!!

Anonymous User
Posted by Doug
Thursday, March 06, 2008 7:44 PM EST

Would we have these stories if the opportunities offered to every country on earth in the last thirty to forty years except the U S had been more easily available to U S students. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

Anonymous User
Posted by Adrienne Huff
Sunday, March 09, 2008 8:26 PM EST

This is sad. I hope that they get life for doing these people like this. They need to get the death penalty. God help those innocent people that are infected or might be infected

Anonymous User
Posted by Anthony Self
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:00 AM EST

There's no way that this level of negligence and misconduct could have occured for so long without anyone with governmental authority and/or power not knowing . Wake up people. Fight the power!!!

Anonymous User
Posted by Judith Overman
Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:35 PM EST

I can't believe this is not being disccussed in the news on television.

Why is that?

Have the candidates addressed this issue? I would like to know what they intend to do about it.

Judith Ann Overman

Comments for this article are closed.

About the National News Desk

Our mission is to seek the complete truth and provide a full and fair account of the events and issues that surround personal safety, accident prevention, and injury recovery.  We are committed to serving the public with honesty and integrity in these efforts.

Hurt in an accident? Contact an Injury Board member

Subscribe to Blog Updates

Enter your email address if you would like to receive email notifications when comments are made on this post.

Email address

Subscribe

RSS Feed

Add the National News Desk to your favorite RSS reader

Add to Google Reader Add to myYahoo Add to myMSN Add to Bloglines Add to Newsgator Add to Netvibes Add to Pageflakes