Welcome! We regret to inform you that the Injury Board National News Desk has been discontinued. Feel free to browse around and enjoy our previously published articles, or visit The Injury Blog Network for the latest in personal injury news.

Ban On Text Messaging Supported By Major Automakers

Posted by Chrissie Cole
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:30 PM EST
Category: On The Road
Tags: Texting Ban, Driving Safety, Driving While Texting, Dangerous Devices, Auto Accidents, Cell Phones, Protecting Your Family

LEARN MORE

IMAGE SOURCE: © iStockPhoto/ texting teens/ author: LeggNet

Today, major automakers expressed support for banning drivers from text messaging and using hand-held mobile phones while driving.

The Alliance of Auto Manufacturers, a trade association of 11 car and light truck manufacturers including BMW Group, Chrysler and Ford Motor Company, said in a statement that writing or reading text messages affects a driver’s ability to safely operate a vehicle.

“Clearly, using a hand-held device to call or text while driving is a safety risk,” said Alliance President and CEO Dave McCurdy. “The alliance supports a ban on hand-held text messaging and calling while driving to accelerate the transition to more advanced, safer ways to manage many common potential distractions."

An estimated 20 percent of drivers are texting while behind the wheel, according to a Nationwide Insurance study last year. Among young people, between the ages of 18 to 24, that number skyrockets to 66 percent.

So far, 14 states including Louisiana, Minnesota, and New Jersey, have passed laws banning texting while driving. Fewer states have made cell phone use illegal while driving, a practice automakers do not oppose in all circumstances.

A Senate bill, sponsored by Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., would withhold 25 percent of highway funding from those states that fail to adopt the texting while driving ban.

Next week, the Distracted Drivers Summit will address the dangers of text-messaging and other distractions behind the wheel. Senior transportation officials, safety advocates, law enforcement representatives, members of Congress and academics will convene in Washington to discuss ways to combat distracted driving. The meeting will also explore legislative and regulatory approaches.

“Following the summit, I expect to have a list of concrete steps to announce,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. The bottom line is – we need to put an end to unsafe cell phone use, typing on BlackBerry’s and other activities that distract drivers.” #


1 Comment

Anonymous User
Posted by Krystal Kid
Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:12 PM EST

80% percent of all rear end collisions (the most frequent vehicle accident) are caused by driver inattention, following too closely, external distraction (talking on cell phones, shaving, applying makeup, fiddling with the radio or CD player, kids, texting, etc.) and poor judgement.

I don't think you can stop the madness so I went out and got one of these superbumper.com

Comments for this article are closed.

About the National News Desk

Our mission is to seek the complete truth and provide a full and fair account of the events and issues that surround personal safety, accident prevention, and injury recovery.  We are committed to serving the public with honesty and integrity in these efforts.

Hurt in an accident? Contact an Injury Board member

Subscribe to Blog Updates

Enter your email address if you would like to receive email notifications when comments are made on this post.

Email address

Subscribe

RSS Feed

Add the National News Desk to your favorite RSS reader

Add to Google Reader Add to myYahoo Add to myMSN Add to Bloglines Add to Newsgator Add to Netvibes Add to Pageflakes